Monday, March 15, 2010

The Hotel- Our first few days in Prague


Friday-Sunday:

We got to our hotel at about noon on Friday. Brody found us an awesome deal on a really nice 5 star hotel, so we very much enjoyed our stay. We were so pooped when we got there that we slept till dinner! The hotel had the most comfy king size bed and fancy decor.
including a cool vintage mirror that I loved
a flat screen TV (95% of the channels were in some sort of foreign European language, so we watched the UK channel)
a great view of the courtyard (which is probably gorgeous in the summer!)
and a restaurant with some of the yummiest food I have ever had.

---------------------------------

On Saturday we met up with our friends Dan and Meghann and hit the sights! It was mighty cold, so we had to bundle up but with all the walking we did, it wasn't bad. Prague is so beautiful, even at the tail end of winter when there isn't much color.

There was a lot to see and we didn't make it to everything, but we have plenty of time! Here are some pictures of "old town Prague."

Old Town Square:

This clock tower was built in the 1400's.

The architecture on the buildings is so intricate, it's gorgeous!

And I love the cobblestone streets.

We ate breakfast at a bakery and lunch in the square (very expensive) but very fun.

After another big nap (still trying to get back on track) we went and checked out the mall. It was huge. 3 floors. It had a bowling alley, a pool table hall, and a grocery store (in the shopping mall!). I guess this is all pretty common outside the U.S.

Here are a few things I very much miss: free re-fills, free water, ice and free bathrooms. Yep you have to PAY to use a public bathroom. And the water at restaurants is sometimes more expensive than soda. It's so weird! But I guess I'll get used to it.

The new money system is hard to get used to as well. It's about 20 czech crowns to the US dollar. So when we get our bill for dinner and is says 325 I almost freak out but then realize that's only $15.

-----------------------------

On Sunday, we checked out of the hotel and got ready for church. It took us forEVER to figure out how to use public transportation (and we ended up taking a taxi because we couldn't figure it out) but we made it there just in time. There is only one branch for all of Prague. Crazy! It was so cool to see the church thriving in another country. (that sign is instantly recognizable, even in a different language).


After church we headed straight out to Čelákovice for the rest of the week. More of that to come....

14 comments:

Dad said...

How exciting to be on your new adventure! I'm so happy to hear you made there ok and got all your luggage without too much problem. Have fun and be safe.

Lee said...

I hope we're going to get details like this on each and every day you're there! I love seeing all the cool picts and hearing about what you do each day. Keep it up!

Cade + Tosha said...

sounds so fun! keep the updates coming!

Kimber Hansen said...

Ky! I'm so jealous! Your pictures are awesome. Keep it up. Love to see what you guys are up to...and off enjoying without us!

tutus n bowties said...

So happy you two made it there safe! It looks so amazing. Sad news about the part where you both were getting sick. No fun.

Brody said...

I look bloated in the church picture. I assure you all I was not.

Lee said...

haha- I wondered about that Brody- I thought it must have just been a bad angle. . . although I did wonder if you were retaining water for some weird reason-

Brody said...

maybe some wind got in there or something. It was windy that day

Lindsey said...

Ahhh! I'm so excited for you. How fun to be at a nice hotel. I love your church coat. I love ALL the details. Stay safe! Oh, and by the way, you're going to get sick of hearing/reading me say that ;)

Jessica said...

It is so beautiful there! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures! Oh, and can you put that mirror in your suitcase for me? I LOVE it :)

Jamie Jo said...

I can't stand how jealous I am. I'm totally breaking the commandment to not covet.

l + j said...

looks amazing, kylee! i'm jealous! i have some neighbors from home that are serving missions there (or maybe he's the mission president... idk) anyway... if there's only one branch there, maybe you'll run into them! they are the robbins- mike and shauna. i think they're leaving soon, but maybe you'll meet them! have a great time!

SaraPete said...

What a great post Kylee, it looks amazing there! What an awesome experience for you guys! I can't wait to read more posts to come:)

Jord said...

So fun! I love the church sign and the grocery store in the mall. I remember them having those on my mission. The city is beautiful and amazing that everything is so OLD.